Have A Ramble, Rant or Rave you want to Share?

Would you like to share?
A Ramble - It can be anything that moved you to want to ramble on about it. A Rave? Noticed something you just want to Rave to others about? Or a Rant? - Well we know what a Rant is.

Email it to me and let me know how you want it signed. I promise not to disclose any more than you wish.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pledge of Allegiance - Rave



As a child I recited this every morning before classes began at school. Other than prayers and the alphabet taught to me by my parents it was the first thing I was schooled to memorize. Yesterday at work I asked some of my co-workers who are mostly under 30 if they could recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I truly wanted to cry when not ONE of them could recite the full 31 words. Two of them had been History majors while at school, one of them was in school and working toward a teaching degree. My God, what is our country coming to and where are we headed? I call this a RAVE because five of the 11 of those I was talking to promised if I printed out the pledge they would memorize it. I call this a Rave because these simple 31 words are part of the reason I grew up loving this amazing Nation, The United States of America. 

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."


The Pledge of Allegiance

The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an oath of loyalty to the national flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954. Congressional sessions open with the swearing of the Pledge, as do government meetings at local levels, meetings held by the Knights of Columbus, Royal Rangers, Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of the USA, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Freemasons, Toastmasters International and their concordant bodies, other organizations, and many sporting events.
According to the United States Flag Code, the Pledge "should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute".

No comments: